Maintenance tips for blondes
The mission to find an effective haircare routine can feel overwhelming. With so many options, how do you choose? You already have a cupboard of products that have failed you.
The good news is we are here to help you! It’s our mission at SANDY to make you feel and look great when you leave the salon AND between your visits.
What makes your blonde dull?
Blonde hair has a reputation for getting dull and losing its shine. Clients immediately reach for the purple shampoo but it’s not always the solution. Dull blonde hair is usually caused by a build up of minerals in the hair, which can be the culprit of brassy-yellow or even green tones. The best way to combat this is:
- Install a water filter on your shower. Old pipes leech minerals into the water that build up on hair.
- Use a deep cleansing shampoo once a week to remove build-up on the hair and scalp.
- Book a SANDY Detox Treatment for your next salon visit.
Not all purple shampoos are created equally.
When choosing and using a purple shampoo, here are some points to consider:
- If purple shampoo makes your hair feel rough and tangled, used a toning conditioner instead. This will still deposit the necessary tone but will leave hair feeling smoother and softer.
- Purple shampoo can be addictive and is not designed to be used every wash – it should be reserved for only when the hair colour really needs it. Overuse will result in an almost greyish, over-toned look, which makes the hair look darker and duller.
- Each purple shampoo or toning conditioner has its own unique tone; different tones will give different results and for this reason we stock different brands. Ask your SANDY stylist to select the one best suited to your hair.
- Most purple shampoos are designed to deposit tone, not cleanse the hair, so make sure you wash first with a normal shampoo.
- A purple shampoo is designed to create a COOL blonde. If you love warm, honey blondes, consider using a golden toning shampoo or mask.
How do I get my best blonde?
1. Don’t leave your appointments too long; long lapses between colour services will put you back at square one each time. Give your SANDY stylist a chance to build upon your progress each time, meaning you can reach your desired blonde gradually and healthily, without always being in damage control mode.
2. Give your hair love between appointments by doing weekly treatments.. Alternate between using Olaplex for re-bonding the hair’s structure, and a deep moisture mask as a hydrating treatment.
3. Remember heat will fade your toner, so minimise using hot tools like straighteners and tongs.
4. Invest in a salon-quality shampoo and conditioner. Let your SANDY stylist take the guesswork out of choosing decent products by recommending a regimen suited to your individual needs.
Just remember you are unique and so is your hair! It’s not a one-size-fits all approach, so we will tailor a plan to suit you and your colour.
Book now with a SANDY stylist